Improving Health and Social Care Services for Over 65s in Croydon
Helping older people live long, healthy, and independent lives is the key aim of a joint programme by Croydon Clinical Commissioning Group and Croydon Council which will transform the way both organisations buy health and social care services for over 65s.
The new programme, Outcomes Based Commissioning, is an exciting and innovative approach that incentivises health and social care providers to achieve a set of outcomes and experiences that are important to local people.
This new approach can significantly improve the health and wellbeing of over 65s and help to join up health and social care services. People have already told us that what matters most is:
• staying healthy, active and independent for as long as possible
• getting access to the best quality care so people can live how they choose
• having support from professionals with specialist knowledge to understand how health and social care affects individuals
• getting more care and support tailored to individuals’ needs
• being supported to manage long term conditions
Croydon CCG and Croydon Council intend to jointly commission a 10-year ‘outcomes based commissioning’ contract for all services for over 65s from an alliance of health and social care providers. This alliance will be expected to work with other organisations to deliver health and social care services for local people.
The following five organisations have been selected to form this new alliance following a robust selection process overseen by commissioners:
• Age UK Croydon
• Croydon Council Adult Social Care
• Croydon GPs Group (which aims to include all the GP practices in the borough)
• Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
• South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
The initial exploratory phases of the project have involved providers, local clinicians, carers, and over 400 local residents. Providers, clinicians, carers, patients, and the public, will continue to be involved in all aspects of this work.
We are holding a public event on Wednesday 24 June 2015, 6.00 to 8.00pm at Fairfield Halls to give an update on how this is being taken forward and ask people's views on what outcomes based services might look like. Please sign up online here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/outcomes-based-commissioning-services-for-over-65s-public-event-24th-june-2015-tickets-17026771532